Candice Rubin in her own words…
I like to have fun! I try to make the most out of each and every single day. I aspire to be my better self in order to be able to be the best for my clients, friends and family. I try to live life to the fullest and focus on living in the present – something I have learnt over the years and is one of the keys to my happiness. I love health and keeping fit, these are elements of my life that are truly balanced and come naturally and easily to me.
What is so you unique about the service you offer?
Health and fitness are the cornerstones of my life. I have always made them a priority in my daily routine. With them comes balance, essential to my own wellbeing. This is critical as it assists me to stay grounded, focused and to be more productive. I am approaching my 29th year and in the last couple of years I have increasingly come to realise the importance of balance.
The approach to my own health and my business is that we are all unique individuals and as such, no cookie-cutter approach to health and fitness would effectively meet all our differing needs. All bodies are different, made up of different gene types, bones and body compositions, which make us function in our own unique ways. This understanding pervades my practice as a professional. Drawing on my experience in the three disciples of nutrition, yoga and PT, I develop and direct custom-made programs, plans and treatments for each of my clients.
I strongly relate to the connection between the mind and the gut. I believe that Nutrition needs to be taught to us from the very beginning. The science of our bodies and what we are made up of. The things we need to ensure we are our best-self inside and out are what I believe are the most important tools we have. These tools help us feel and look great while helping us to reduce the risk of chronic long term illness.
To meet this need and to equip people with the right tools Candice Rubin Nutrition and Fitness offers bespoke packages for health, well-being and lifestyle. Each and every one of my clients undergoes a nutritional assessment before moving to the next step. I treat individuals with an array of conditions, cardiovascular disease, poor skin, depression, getting the body to peak health both inside (gut health) and out, you name it!
My knowledge and practice as a nutritionist works hand in hand with my professional training in yoga, functional and high-intensity training, allowing me to design unique plans for total transformation with a focus on long-term results. I aim to create a tailored transformation program based on a thorough, personalised assessment. Not one package or treatment is the same. I believe that balance and moderation is the key to a stable and healthy lifestyle. My intention is to make sure my clients receive the best suited package for them and it is something I guide them through every step of the way until they are able to maintain it themselves. There is no such thing as a quick fix. I provide my clients with value in the form of long term sustainable and practical solutions. I should also mention that they are enjoyable every step of the way!
What is the best feeling when you’re consulting with clients?
This is a tricky question to answer as there are so many rewarding moments when working with my clients. Right from when they start with me, I love seeing the mix of excitement and relief on their faces as they realise that they are taking the first step towards their health and fitness goals. More often than not these goals evolve as the client does right before my eyes! When I gain my client’s trust and they realise that I am with them all of the way, 100% working towards their goals in a practical way, is very special. No bull$hit (not sure if that word is allowed) or intimidating gyms or specialist appointments, just me. They often see rapid results reinforcing their decision to deal with their problem. This may even be after the first week… awesome!
Around the third week of us working together my clients are blown away and it’s almost like they need to pinch themselves, as they can’t believe how little time and effort it takes to see big changes! Everything is about a transition and the weight or results just follow naturally. With every single client this gets me excited! I feel like a giddy kid sometimes. I just love helping people, seeing people ease into a healthier way of life and doing my bit towards creating a healthier population.
Can you share with us your own routine and how you keep and stay fit?
Balance is my secret:
Balanced diet with every meal – three key rules
- Colourful plate with fresh foods
- No more than 5 ingredients in any packaged food
- Mindful eating- Eating when hungry and listening to my body.
I find when I stick to these simple rules it always helps to choose the right foods.
I try mix it up between spin, conditional training yoga and walking. I am naturally a very active girl. I walk to most my clients, practice yoga 4-5 times a week and teach spin 4 times a week. I like to incorporate fitness in to my everyday life as an enjoyment rather than a chore. One key component to staying healthy is listening to your body. If there is a day where my body is tired I listen to it and let it rest.
Can you share with us three nutritional tips we can all try?
Three key tips
1. Quick. Tasty. Nutritious. Easy meals.
2. Preparation is key – one afternoon or night a week, preferably Tuesday, when my clients and admin are done, you will find me in my little apartment kitchen preparing my snacks for the week. I know you might be thinking I don’t have time as I’m busy…actually I think this too at times! My prep takes me all of 30-40 minutes and really helps me to always have things to snack on during my crazy week instead of skipping meals or grabbing something unsatisfying. It actually saves time throughout the week and allows me to be more productive.
3. Predominately eat things that grow either in the ground or on trees. If I am eating packaged foods I avoid foods that contain more than 5 ingredients. Fresh is best and it not only refuels your body more effectively, it tastes great…always remember less is more. 10 – 20 min meal and go! Here’s one of my go to’s:
- Roughly break into a steamer broccoli and cauliflower and steam for 10 min
- Into a bowl tear some basil, squeeze the juice of one lemon, splotch of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste – dressing done!
- Add in some walnuts, roasted pumpkin seeds, and pomegranate seeds
- A grain – rice, quinoa, barley or millet – take your pick!
- After the broccoli has cooled a little mix it all together and voila!
This would take you 20 min max and you can add some protein if you wish by simply adding can of mackerel, tuna, smoked tofu or a free range egg (organic preferably).
What is your favorite healthy recipe?
My mango avocado and tofu or chicken salad is… hands down!
This recipe has been a winner since I was 12 years old… a little creation I tossed together and has been demonstrated and cooked in many a kitchen since.
Tofu (firm) or chicken will be the stars!
For the dressing mix:
- 2 generous handfuls of chopped spring onion
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1-2 lemons freshly squeezed (to taste)
For the marinade:
Coat your preferred protein in a mix of Tamari, Cayenne pepper (optional) and
Garlic (to taste… I like heaps!). Then pantry the lot in a good quality coconut oil.
Place thin vermicelli rice noodles in warm water to soften.
The green and gold:
Wash and dry some iceberg lettuce (or your preferred salad leaf) then tear it up and place in the bottom of a large bowl. Slice a seasonal avocado and mango.
Add the noodles and your protein to then bowl and then top it off with the slices of mango and avocado, drizzle with a generous amount of the dressing and I promise you will love it!
What is the best thing about incorporating yoga in your fitness regime?
Yoga really helps me to rebalance, stay grounded and be my best self. It helps me to take the ego out of things and be ok with where I am at that exact time. We live such busy lives and are always thinking about the next thing. Yoga for me keeps me focused on the now and not always thinking about what’s next.
How has doing yoga changed your life?
In the past I was someone who was constantly chasing for the bigger, the better, for more! Always running around,being the Yes girl. Yoga really helped me become the better version of my self, helping me to take better care of my needs so I can then take better care of others around me.
What are the benefits of going to a yoga retreat?
It really brings you back to earth, relaxes the mind and helps you get in touch with you and your needs. I always find that when I am taken out of my busy life and put into surroundings, which only allow me to focus on me, to be in touch with nature and my practice, I am a better person. I feel more grounded and connected to the earth. This allows me to make better life choices when I am back in the craziness of Melbourne.
What are your fave activewear brands?
- Yogi peace club – a local yogi activewear business in Torquay Australia. Great lasting product, affordable, comfortable and fun.
- Beyond Yoga they have really comfortable yoga pants, which I also wear running, they are all about sustainability and comfortable and reliable clothing.
- Truth Balance Virtue great active wear from California, they use only organic breathable fabric. I love their singlets and totes.
- Lululemon worth the investment, long lasting pieces and as a brand they support so many local health advocates and partake in many charities which I always love to support.
- adidas (including Stella McCartney range) affordable for a high end sporting brand and really comfortable. I also like that adidas is focusing on reducing their carbon costs along with being supporting many volunteer programs around the globe
What have you got planned for this year?
My central objective for this year is to expand my nutrition business globally and work on growing my skype clients. This way I will be able to reach and improve client’s lives without the hindrance of distance!
I will be running a nutrition and yoga retreat in beautiful Fiji with my fellow yogi, mentor and inspiration, Alicia Cheung from Yoga Works. Alicia has been a big part of my yoga journey, my teacher, friend and now my colleague. I am absolutely honored and so excited to be working with her. We really bring our two passions together!
Stay in the loop with Candice